Guidance on viewings and moving home for rented properties
We know the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic may have caused you some unexpected delays if you’re looking to move home.
We are continuing to carry out property allocations and tenancy sign ups. While social distancing measures remain in place, we will try to carry out as many contacts as we can digitally or over the phone. Where this is not possible, we have measures in place to ensure social distancing and good hygiene standards are complied with.
Socially distanced viewings of homes to rent
We know you’ll want to see your new home in person, so if you’re invited to view a property, we will contact you by email or text message to let you know the measures we are taking to keep you and our colleagues safe.
We will advise you of the below social distancing measures that will be in place for your viewing:
- When attending the viewing, social distancing guidelines should be followed at all times and you must keep at least two metres away from the Beyond Housing colleague attending the viewing
- A maximum of two people from the same household can attend the viewing
- Please do not bring children along to the viewing
- Please do not attend the viewing if you or any member of your household are showing symptoms of COVID-19
- Please do not arrive any earlier than your appointment time, we need time to make sure everything is set up for you so you don’t have to touch anything
- You may choose to wear a face covering when attending the viewing. Our colleague will wear a face covering and gloves when attending the viewing as a precaution
- We will arrive early to open up the property and all internal doors for you and sanitise handles, then wait outside while you view the property
- We won’t come in to show you around, but if you have your mobile phone, we can talk to you while you make your way around the property and answer any questions you may have
- You should not touch anything inside the property
- Once you have finished looking around, come back outside and remain at a two metre distance from us
- We will lock up the property after you’ve gone and will contact you following the viewing to discuss how you wish to proceed.
If for any reason a socially distanced viewing can’t take place, we’ll look to arrange a virtual viewing.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I bid for a property?
Yes, you can bid on any home within the banding you are eligible for. You can still do this via the choice based letting systems – Compass for Tees Valley or North Yorkshire Home Choice for North Yorkshire.
- Can I view a property?
Yes. We know you’ll want to see your new home in person, so if you’re invited to view a property, we will advise you of the measures we are taking to keep you and our colleagues safe.
This includes us arriving early to open up the property and all internal doors for you, then waiting outside while you view the property. We’ll still be on hand to answer any questions from a safe two metre distance or over the phone as you walk around, and will lock up the property after you’ve gone. If for any reason this can’t happen, we’ll look to arrange a virtual viewing.
Please note, we can only allow a maximum of two people to attend the viewing to ensure social distancing, and ask you not to bring along additional friends, family members, or children if possible.
- What happens after the viewing?
After the viewing, our Communities Advisor will contact you to discuss how you want to proceed. If you then qualify for the property, we will contact you by email or telephone. We will also let you know when you can sign up and move in.
- Can I still sign up for a new property with Beyond Housing while your offices are closed?
Yes. We will send you a copy of your tenancy agreement via email or the post and then give you a call to discuss the terms of your tenancy conditions with you. When your new home is ready, we will arrange for you to come and get the keys and sign the particulars of the agreement by appointment. This is all done with social distancing and hygiene precautions in place, please be assured the keys will be sanitised before you’re given them.
- What if I notice repairs need doing after I’ve moved in?
We work to a comprehensive framework to bring each home that becomes vacant up to the same standard. This means everything will be in working order for you, but just in case anything goes wrong shortly after you’ve moved in, please be aware at the moment we are running a reduced repairs service due to COVID-19. More information on repairs that we are currently offering can be found here.
If you have any further queries, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange for our Communities team to get in touch with you.