Data Protection – Privacy Notice
The data controller responsible for this personal information is Aviva Insurance Limited as the insurer of the product. Additional controllers include the Administrator and Aon UK Limited, who are responsible for the sale and distribution of the product, and any applicable insurers, reinsurers or brokers we use.
Personal information we collect and how we use it
We will use personal information collected from you and obtained from other sources:
- To provide you with insurance: we need this to decide if we can offer insurance to you and if so on what terms and also to administer your policy, handle any claims and manage any renewal
- To support legitimate interests that we have as a business. We need this to:
- Manage arrangements we have with our insurers, reinsurers and brokers we use, and for the detection and prevention of fraud
- Help us better understand our customers and improve our customer engagement. This includes profiling and customer analytics which allows us to make certain predictions and assumptions about your interests, make correlations about our customers to improve our products and to suggest other products which may be relevant or of interest to customers,
- To meet any applicable legal or regulatory obligations: we need this to meet compliance requirements with our regulators (e.g. Financial Conduct Authority), to comply with law enforcement and to manage legal claims
- To carry out other activities that are in the public interest: for example we may need to use personal information to carry out anti-money laundering
We may also use personal information about other people, for example family members you wish to insure on a policy. If you are providing information about another person we expect you to ensure that they know you are doing so. You might find it helpful to show them this privacy notice.
The personal information we collect and use will include name, address and date of birth, financial information and details of your home. If a claim is made we will also collect personal information about the claim from you and any relevant third parties. We may also need to ask for details relating to the health or any unspent offences or criminal convictions of you or somebody else covered under your policy. We recognise that information about health and offences or criminal convictions is particularly sensitive information. We’ll ensure that we only use that information where we need to for our insurance purposes (including assessing the terms of your insurance contract, dealing with changes to your policy and/or dealing with claims).
There may be times when we need consent to use personal information for a specific reason. If this happens, we will make this clear to you at the time. If you give us consent to using personal information, you are free to withdraw this at any time by contacting us – refer to the “Contacting us” details below. Please note that if consent to use information is withdrawn we will not be able to continue to process the information you gave us for this/these purposes. This would not affect our use of the information where consent is not required.
Of course, you don’t have to provide us with any personal information, but if you don’t provide the information we need we may not be able to proceed with your application or any claim you make.
Some of the information we use as part of this application may be provided to us by a third party. This may include information already held about you and your home within the Aviva group, including details from previous quotes and claims, information we obtain from publicly available records, our trusted third parties and from industry databases, including fraud prevention agencies and databases.
- Automated decision making
We may carry out automated decision making to decide whether we can provide insurance to you and on what terms, deal with claims or carry out fraud checks. In particular we may use an automated underwriting engine to provide on-line quotes, using the information we have collected.
- How we share your personal information with others
We may share your personal information:
- With the Aviva group, our agents and third parties who provide services to us, the Administrator and Aon UK Limited, and other insurers (either directly or via those acting for the insurer such as loss adjusters or investigators) to help us administer our products and services
- With regulatory bodies and law enforcement bodies, including the police, e.g. if we are required to do so to comply with a relevant legal or regulatory obligation
- With other organisations including insurers, public bodies and the police (either directly or using shared databases) for fraud prevention and detection purposes
- With reinsurers who provide reinsurance services to Aviva and for each other in respect of risks underwritten by Aviva, with insurers who cover Aviva under its group insurance policies and with our brokers who arrange and manage such reinsurance and insurance arrangements. They will use your data to decide whether to provide reinsurance and insurance cover, arrange and manage such cover, assess and deal with insurance and reinsurance claims under such cover and to meet legal obligations. They will keep your data for the period necessary for these purposes and may need to disclose it to other companies within their group, their agents and third party service providers, law enforcement and regulatory.
- How long we keep your personal information for
We maintain a retention policy to ensure we only keep personal information for as long as we reasonably need it for the purposes explained in this notice. We need to keep information for the period necessary to administer your insurance and deal with claims and queries on your policy. We may also need to keep information after our relationship with you has ended, for example to ensure we have an accurate record in the event of any complaints or challenges, carry out relevant fraud checks, or where we are required to do so for legal, regulatory or tax purposes.
- Your rights
- Contacting us
If you have any questions about how we use personal information, or if you want to exercise your rights stated above, please contact our Data Protection team by either emailing them at email@example.com or writing to the Data Protection Officer, Level 5, Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH.
If you have a complaint or concern about how we use your personal information, please contact us in the first instance and we will attempt to resolve the issue as soon as possible. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office at any time.
- Fraud prevention and detection
In order to prevent and detect fraud we may at any time:
- Share information about you with other organisations and public bodies including the Police
- Undertake credit searches and additional fraud searches
- Check and/or file your details with fraud prevention agencies and databases, and if you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will record this to prevent fraud and money laundering.
We can supply on request further details of the agencies and databases we access or contribute to and how this information may be used. If you require further details please contact us at:
Policy Investigation Unit, Aviva, Cruan Business Centre, Westerhill Business Park, 123 Westerhill Road, Bishopbriggs, Glasgow, G64 2QR.Telephone: 0345 300 0597. Email: PIUUKDI@AVIVA.COM
We and other organisations may also search these agencies and databases to:
- Help make decisions about the provision and administration of insurance, credit and related services for you and members of your household
- Trace debtors or beneficiaries, recover debt, prevent fraud and to manage your accounts or insurance policies
- Check your identity to prevent money laundering, unless you provide us with other satisfactory proof of identity
- Check details of job applicants and employees.
- Claims history
- Under the conditions of your policy you must tell us about any insurance related incidents (such as fire, water damage, theft or an accident) whether or not they give rise to a claim. When you tell us about an incident we will pass information relating to it to a database
- We may search these databases when you apply for insurance, in the event of any incident or claim, or at time of renewal to validate your claims history or that of any other person or property likely to be involved in the policy or property likely to be involved in the policy or claim.
You should show these notices to anyone who has an interest in the insurance under the policy.
- If you have a complaint
We hope that you will be very happy with the service that we provide. However, if for any reason you are unhappy with it, we would like to hear from you. In the first instance, seek resolution by contacting Aviva Tenants Contents Unit on telephone number 0345 0308 733. Aviva is covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service. If you have complained to us and we have been unable to resolve your complaint, you may refer it to this independent body. Following the complaints procedure does not affect your right to take legal action.
- Choice of law
The Law of England and Wales will apply to this contract unless:
- You and the Insurer agree otherwise
- At the date of the contract you are a resident of (or, in the case of a business, the registered office or principal place of business is situated in) Scotland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, in which case (in the absence of agreement to the contrary) the law of that country will apply.
- Telephone call charges and recording
Calls to 0800 numbers from UK landlines and mobiles are free. The cost of calls to 03 prefixed numbers are charged at national call rates (charges may vary dependent on your network provider) and are usually included in inclusive minute plans from landlines and mobiles. For our joint protection telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored.