Affordable rent
Secure tenancy
Reputable landlord
Community investment
High quality homes

Gas Safety

To keep you and your home safe and your heating system well maintained, we need to carry out a gas safety check each year. As a landlord we are required by law to make sure that:

  • Pipes, appliances and flues belonging to Beyond Housing are kept in a safe condition
  • All appliances and flues we provide get annual safety checks by Gas Safe registered engineers
  • All gas equipment (including appliances left by a previous customer) is safe or removed before homes are re-let
  • We give you a record of each safety check within 28 days of completing it, or when you move in if you are a new customer.

It’s your responsibility to allow our Gas Safe registered engineers into your home to carry out this gas safety check, which should take no longer than an hour and a half.

Failure to allow us access to your home is a breach of tenancy, and could result in you losing your home.

We are not responsible for maintaining your gas cooker, you should keep it clean and only use it when it burns with a clean blue flame. If it has a wavy yellow flame, don’t use it and get a gas safe registered engineer to check it for safety. Only use the correct size pans and ones specifically for gas burners.

Our engineers will however carry out a visual assessment of your gas cooker, if they find it dangerous they will turn it off and disconnect it, issuing you with a warning advice notice.

Carbon monoxide

A gas safety check could save your life. Badly installed or poorly maintained gas appliances can lead to gas leaks, explosions or deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

The symptoms of exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can be similar to those of food poisoning and flu.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Tension type headache
  • Dizziness
  • Feeling and being sick
  • Tired and confusion
  • Stomach pain
  • Chest pain
  • Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.
What should I do if my carbon monoxide alarm bleeps with a continuous rapid bleeping, I suspect I may have carbon monoxide poisoning or if I smell gas?

If your carbon monoxide alarm bleeps with a continuous rapid bleeping, you suspect you may have carbon monoxide poisoning or if you smell gas:

  • Phone National Gas Emergency Services free on 0800 111 999 – they will deal with any report of potential carbon monoxide or gas escape free of charge
  • Contact Beyond Housing on 0345 065 5656
  • If possible, turn off the gas supply at the meter (unless the meter is located in a cellar or basement, in which case do not enter)
  • Do not turn the gas back on until the escape has been repaired
  • Turn off gas appliances. Do not use them again until a gas engineer confirms they are safe to use.
  • Open all windows and doors for ventilation and leave the property if you are able to
  • Do not use any electrical appliances or operate any switches
  • Extinguish all naked flames and do not smoke
  • Seek medical advice from your GP if you think you have been exposed to low levels of carbon monoxide.

The capping of gas supplies

We want you to feel safe and secure in your home therefore we have developed a gas cap procedure as a key part in our landlord gas safety compliance obligations.

We may have to cap gas off your gas supply if we are unable to carry out a gas safety check for any of the following reasons:

  1. Your 12 month gas safety check is due to expire and you failed to provide us with access.
  2. Your meter is not in credit.
  3. Your meter is faulty or bypassed
  4. You do not want or need gas in the property.


Why not watch this great video produced by Gas Safety Register and see if you can spot the silent killer: